Friday 13 October 2017

BREAKING: Okorocha Makes U-turn, Bans 'Keke' Operators In Owerri

Okorocha Makes U-turn, Bans 'Keke' Operators in Owerri
=========================================

The Imo State Governor, Chief Rochas Okorocha has directed the outright ban on operators of tricycles popularly known as  'Keke', in Owerri, the state capital, thereby giving out 2000 Passat Wagon vehicles - branded TAXIMO - to the operators as a substitute.

The unexpected action took effect on Thursday, 12th October 2017. It's noteworthy that the government had earlier announced that the said operators would be allowed till December 2017 to vacate the Owerri metropolis, but later took a U-turn unannounced for a reason best known to it.


The tricycle operators who were taken unawares were seen on Thursday in their numbers trouped towards the Imo Government House to protest over what they described as the 'unjust treatment' of the government.

When contacted, one of them who seemed to be learned and was yet to receive a car from the government, revealed to the Rostrum Crew that they were taken by surprise having noted that the governor had given them a grace to operate within the state capital till the end of the year.

The aggrieved citizen who simply identified himself as Chimezie said, "I don't know why the governor decided to take a u-turn after the grace he gave to us.

"Right now, I am totally confused and don't know what to do next. This will warrant me to retire to my village at this age." 'Chimezie' who seemed to be in his late thirties, lamented.

On their part, some commuters who were seen stranded within the affected areas bared their mind on the issue. One of them who identified herself as Chinonso Njoku said "This is a good policy but the way the government implemented is not favourable by all concerned. They would have given the operators more time.

"Besides, the Taximo are not even enough to substitute the number of Keke we have in Owerri. Something must be done about this because we are stranded right now." Mrs. Njoku opined.


The statement that was released by the governor over the ban on the Keke operator read thus, "Years ago when the Keke people gave me a very resounding support, I promised you people that I will change you from three legged to four legged and for that reason, today marks the beginning of movement from tricycle to full car. 

"Now government has made provision for 2,000 taxis to enable all of you to have one taxi each. This is done to give you comfort and make your life prosperous. I would have not been happy if I finish this government without fulfilling my promise. 

"For purpose of clarity this is government empowerment scheme to empower the masses, to reduce pain in your families and to bring comfort. Keke has served us well in Imo State and I want to thank you all for serving us well but as Imo State is developing and getting better with good roads and a lot of infrastructural developments, Keke can no longer be the appropriate means of transport within the Owerri City, this is why we are moving from Keke to a full car.

"I give you these cars without subjecting you to pay for forms, or cost of transportation or any another fee, I release it free of charge, I am doing this for God's sake that the poor people may smile.
"I want all of you to understand that I am making the highest sacrifice that it may be well with my people. I have tried to make Imo much better than I met it, as I struggle painfully, having sleepless nights to make the life of my people better, I want you to reciprocate by joining me in the fight to rescue the state totally from the hands of scavengers ravaging the state over the years."

By this development, Keke operators would no longer be allowed to operate along the major roads of Douglas, Wetheral, Bank Road, Orlu Road and other designated parts in the state capital.

The operators that got the cars were chosen in a raffle draw in a balloting that was conducted at the Heroes Square Owerri.

However, the governor promised to give out the next batch of cars in October, and another batch in December.

Scripted by: Rostrum

No comments:

Post a Comment